Friday, October 2, 2015

The Secret Life of the Mom/Painter

Here's what happens when: two older kids have oral surgery, one middle kid goes to his first scout camp (thank you!!! to those who helped), one toddler gets sick, oneself gets sick, and another toddler likes to play with scissors, knives, and toxic chemicals--you take a week off from the artist gig and get your full-time mommy hat back on.
Thankfully, everyone is now well which led to a week full of painting and other artsy endeavors.






 I feel like I'm getting back into my groove,  This is and 8x10 on canvas, from a photograph by Joe VanDeGraff.  I started out paying painful attention to detail and then when it started to not feel fun anymore, I layered it with glossy gel medium and added strokes of liquid acrylics.  My goal, after all, is to use photos for reference only and to focus on capturing a mood or impression; give my interpretation.  This is for my red haired friend Julie P. if she'll have it:)  She's always so supportive of my tulip projects:)

 This piece is one of my favorites for its message.  The topmost image is the completed piece, but I'm a little conflicted as I kind of prefer the earlier version, which is on the bottom.  Please feel free to leave thoughts etc. on the blog or fb.  This is titled "Mending Broken Fences" and it is 6x6 on gessobord.  I wanted it to be a simple piece, "So simple, it's kind of hard" says my friend.  The idea is that repenting and forgiving are both simple principles, but it takes humility to be one who steps over the fence and decides that it doesn't really matter who is right and gets to work on repairing. The red symbolizes that the process can be painful, but the over-all simplicity of the piece says "it's so worth it!"
 6x6 gessobord  My very favorite part of this piece is the topmost left hand corner where all of the layers show through.  I'm trying to get my abstract on and daily painting gives me the opportunity to experiment with colors and techniques before I apply them to a bigger piece.
 This is another favorite.  6x6 on gessobord, from a very non-abstract barn photograph by David Gillette:)  No title for it yet (I may or may not have done most of these pieces in one day--today in fact.
 6x6 gessobord.  I might forever be done with canvas.  I love this surface so much!  This was a very fun and strangely relaxing piece.  It's so filled with movement and yet creating it was almost like taking a much needed rest or going for a long long run.  Loved it.

 This is another where I feel conflicted. The top is the "finished" piece, but I prefer the open simplicity of the original.  I feel that by adding so many shadows in I took away from the clean beauty of the leaves and the light.  One thing I love about acrylics; nothing is ever permanent.  Except when it is, and then I throw it away:)
Lastly, my sweet little Zentangle.  I am just barely reading about this technique, but I really enjoy it and look forward to learning more and making more complicated tangles.  These are done on 3 1/2x3 1/2 ich tiles, so they are really tiny and perfect for getting into the zone.

P.S. Every piece that I show (unless I indicate otherwise, is for sale, so if you are ever interested just contact me and we can get the ball rolling:)

No comments:

Post a Comment